So a few months went by and then I saw a post on the KR boards, and contacted the creator behind these figures. Eran Weinberg creator of the "Headphonies" was so kind to answer a few questions so that we could better find out about him and his product. The first question I had to ask was what kind of sound can that little speaker produce? He said "surprisingly these little guys can bump pretty loud considering the small size. Most speakers are pretty tinny sounding so I made sure these speaker had a more balanced sound." I also overheard some people talking at SDCC and they said they heard these play from someone's ipod and said they sounded surprisingly good! ROCK ON!
They are Limited Editions and vary from 500 or 1000 pcs, depending on the design. There are also 100 DIY Headphonies. These are going to retail for around $30usd, so look for them soon, like November soon!!!! These will be distributed by DKE!
1. Hey Eran, tell us a little about who you are and where you are from?
2. Is there anyone who really inspires you in the vinyl toy and/or art world, and do you have any of their pieces in your personal collection?
What really got me into the vinyl world probably was the Munny and Dunny series since it so visible. I loved the idea of a platform design, and how so many variations could be created from it. Some of the designs blew me away, and the world of customs took it to another level. It also helped to have a Kidrobot store two blocks away from my apartment.
3. So I understand your background is in product design, how did you get involved with vinyl giants such as MAD and Kozik to help you with this project, and how long has this taken you from idea to finally completion?
Its funny how things appear when you search for answers. Honestly, this whole project was a work in progress to figure out what I wanted to do. I designed the shape myself, but once I got to the artwork phase I didn't have a game plan. So I showed my concept around and eventually got in touch with Dov from DKE. Dov has been a huge support for this project and helped get me in touch with Mad and Kozik. I am really happy to have their artwork kickoff the collection, and hopefully it will keep growing with more artists and concepts.
4. These "Headphonies" are RAD,but how good can those little speakers be?
For a small speaker they sound pretty good. But I don't want to brag, so you will have to find out for yourself.
5. Do you have any future projects planed, and if so what?
I do have a few projects that I would like to pursue. Mostly what I am interested in doing is a collection of functional or mechanical vinyl toys.
Seven Quickfire Questions:
1. What is your full name and/or nickname?
Eran Weinberg, but I am also known as E.Z., or Barney (long story)
2. Where were you where born?
Los Angeles, CA
3. Who taught you the most in life?
Myself, but I have had many mentor along the way.
4. Who is your current favorite band?
5. What's your favorite movie?
6. What's your favorite food?
7. Who would win in a fight, pirates or ninjas?
Definitely the Ninjas. Pirates are always too drunk.
I would like to personally thank Eran for taking the time to answer these questions, and give us all kinds of info on his great new product being released. Eran also wanted to point out that the help of Kozik and MAD was totally beneficial and wanted to give them props for all their help and designs. I am really looking forward to seeing what other designs go into production, and I am super excited for Eran for taking his idea and making it reality...Congrats!