Tuesday, July 27, 2010
TYO Toys made the trip from the east coast to attend this years San Diego Comic-Con and he came equipped with trucks, and no not skateboard truck, or real trucks, but his awesome mini-box trucks which sported some fantastic art on them. Phil had a ton of his 3.5" mini artist series trucks which were featured at the DKE booth. This series has tags on trucks from: Sucklord, David Flores, Ewok and Skuf... Phil also had some blanks where he collected stickers from various booths and came back the next day with fully customized trucks that he handed out! To see more pics from TOY Toys trip to SDCC hit the Flickr HERE. It was a blast to finally meet you man, and keep on truckin :-) I just had to say it.
Kevin Titzer sent along a new picture of his latest piece that he created out of found and recycled materials, where his figures are carved out of wood that he finds on the banks of the Ohio river. This piece titled "Twins", is a sort of tin-mer-man figure and was created for an upcoming group art show at Thinkspace Gallery called "Love Conquers All: Art For Equality", which will feature not only Kevin's work but work from about 60+ artists! The show will open on August 8th and run through August 28th and will include some serious masterpieces including the above work from Kevin. AMAZING work, I could stare at it for days!
Buff Monster's turn to take the helm as he was there to promote his new plush Buff Monster figure, the blue colorway which was exclusive to SDCC. Buff rocked the house with sketches for his waiting fans, and he even had a little muscle behind him in the form of Vectar, if the crowd got outta control :-) Buff has some amazing things in the works, and hopefully I can reveal some of them to you because it is killing me not to let all of you in on it, just know that Buff is gearing up to make his fans really happy! Nice to see you again dude, and can't wait for the rest of the year!
Munky King booth and both Dave Pressler and Luke Chueh were working very diligently on sketches for fans. This was one of the many times I bumped into these guys, and had some great talks with Dave, unfortunately the crowd swallowed up Luke before I could say hello! Big thanks to Jeremy Brautman for the picture, as my camera busted on Saturday :-(
Join the Toy Break crew for Dr. Brain, Winston Stitch, Terror and Magnus, and much more! Put the tuna noodle casserole in the oven and join us for a Toy Break!
Toy Break Stuff
- Cavey Contest - win an adorable Skeleton Cavey (limited to 6 pieces) by grabbing a picture of any Cavey from heycavey.com and post him in your own picture on the forum! - deadline is July 28
- Toy Break Call For Logos - post your logos in the contest section on the forum and you could win our undying appreciation and probably another surprise prize - please note that by posting a logo, you are consenting to our use of said logo on our website, for advertising purposes, potentially on merchandise in the future, etc. - deadline is TBD
- Fools Machine - by 27:Fools - 9" tall resin limited to 99 pieces - ships around September - order now for $250
- TRU Exclusive Convention Nerd - by Jazwares - exclusive 5" action figure (based on Convention Nerd figure from Robot Chicken) will only be available at SDCC Entertainment Earth booth 2343 and online for $20
- Ninja Town Wee Vinyl Series 1 - by Shawnimals & Kidrobot - 3" vinyl blind box mini series releasing July 22 - $8 each
- Skull King Paper Toy Series - by IWYS & Horrorwood - paper toy series featuring seven designs - free for download now
- Pico & Wilshire - by Joe Ledbetter & The Loyal Subjects - 12" vinyl Wilshire and 6" vinyl Pico limited to 415 pieces - releases this fall - available for pre-order now for $160
- Dr. Brain - by Jim Freckingham & Raje Toys - 7.5" vinyl figure limited to 500 pieces (450 regular version and 50 of the chase "sinister" version) - $60
- Winston Stitch - by Triclops Studio - 5" Winston the Bulldog Stitch limited to 35 pieces with tattoo and pin for £25
- Terror & Magnus - by Joe Ledbetter - Death Metal edition available for $110
- LEGOLand Star Wars Weekend - in Carlsbad, CA August 7th & 8th
- Custom Yoka Show - hundreds of custom Yoka bears at Lulubell Toy Bodega in Tuscon, AZ from August 7th to 28th
- Celebration V - Star Wars Celebration V at the Orange Country Convention Center in Orlando, FL August 12th to 15th
- Power Morphicon - at the Pasadena Convention Center in Pasadena, CA August 27th to 29th
- Past the Cosmos - solo show by Scott Tolleson at Screaming Sky Gallery in Portland, OR August 26th to September 19th
Contact Toy Break
- Coupons - use the coupon code "ToyBreak10" for 10% off at tilteed.com and the code "TOYBREAK" for 20% off at Funkrush.com and OctoberToys.com!
- Contact us! - send us your questions, comments, ideas, news about upcoming events and toys!
- Call Toy Break at 818-Am-I-Good (818-264-4663 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 818-264-4663 end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 818-264-4663 end_of_the_skype_highlighting)
- Twitter with Ayleen at twitter.com/spookyamd
- Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/toybreak
- Toy Brief - don't miss more toy reviews and fun from yours truly on YouTube.com/toybreak!
- Support Toy Break around the web by subscribing to us on iTunes, leaving us feedback on iTunes, like us on Facebook, and digging us on digg.com!
Gary Ham took the trip from Arizon to show off his awesome new works, which ranged from wood to resin and vinyl! His exclusive piece for SDCC 2010 titled "Cirque Du Siamese" HUGO & BRUTO BASSEN looked awesome in person along with his more notable pieces like the hand crafted "Wood Bats", and his delicious "Morsel" figures. Keep your eyes on Gary because this master crafter is always coming up with amazing new pieces that will surely raise the bar!
LTD TEE just dropped their latest release, Mutiny of the Flesh T-shirt by JR Goldberg. This box set is available for one week only at www.ltdtee.net from July 26th until August 1st, and will retail for only $24.99 a pop. I really enjoy the design on this shirt, it's very Baseman meets Pardee :-) Keep in mind that these shirts come in both men’s and women’s sizes, and as a special offer for SS.com readers you can also use discount code "bunnymonsters" to get 20% off this shirt! Discount is valid until 8/1, so snag one up before it's to late!
Color Ink Book had a fantastic showing at this years SDCC, and on top of their rad products they were helped along by the constant flow of artists that did signings at their booth. Alex Pardee was on hand at their booth on Sunday during the con, and this was the first time I got to meet him in person... where he actually sketched for me one of his goretastic creatures. He was chatting with everyone that stopped by and was more than happy to sketch for all... no wonder why people like him so much, he's a sick artist and a cool guy to boot, what's not to like :-) Keep on doing your thing man, some seriously amazing stuff from Alex in the near future!
Jeremiah Ketner as we had never met but through the power of the internets it sure felt like we did, and what a cool guy! He was on hand during the con for a signing at the Dragatomi booth where he had some prints and custom toys for sale, not to mention the occasional doodle/sketch for his fans. Great stuff man, and what a pleasure it was to finally meet you!
OsirisOrion just passed along some info about a huge sale that is going on this Friday, July 30th, 2010 in his online shop... how much can you save, 40% off!!!! This is going to go all the way through August 6th, and will give you all a crack at some awesome custom toys, and a print, just enter BLOODLUST at checkout for 40% off!
Get those calendars out and mark them down for "The Monsters I Know" a solo show by NoseGo is going down on Friday, August 6th at The Last Drop Coffee House. It will feature a gigantic plush toy that will be raffled off, as well as a ton of other works by NoseGo, so if you in or around the Philly area, be sure to stop on by!
The Last Drop
1300 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Wizard Sleeve Toys is trying to clean out some of their old toys and other odds-n-ends to make room for some brand-new ones...and in order to do so they are having an online auction of sorts on everything from plush to kaiju, vinyl toys to books..... and all you need to do is make an offer by emailing them HERE and make sure to include the item(s) you are bidding on and your offer in the e-mail and someone will get back to you ASAP. NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED! SALE IS FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY SO ACT FAST!
Amanda Visell. These Seahorse and Rider figures produced by Paradise Toyland were customized as a SDCC exclusive, then released at the DKE Toys booth. There were 8 different ones which all were hand-painted, and hand-crafted by Amanda then a raffle was held and the person who got picked was allowed to choose the one they wanted for a price tag of $450 each. They looked stunning in person, and the actual produced vinyl release will surely be a hit!
Super7 absolutely slayed it this year during comic-con with amazing release after release there was never a dull moment at the booth, and on Saturday the fans came flocking for a signing of epic proportions that featured Brian Flynn, L’amour Supreme, and Katope. Both Brian and Katope were releasing some unpainted figures, the SD Resin Doku Duo, and light green Drunk Seijin respectively, and L’amour had a ton of hand-paint's as well as a limited number of his resin collab figure with Itokin Park named "Baby Huey"!